It Takes a Community!
Three years ago, TASIS Portugal was an idea. You helped us make it a reality. Three years from now TASIS Portugal will be the best school in the country.
To that end, a group of parents and staff joined members of the TASIS Portugal administration and Board of Directors to define the steps needed to arrive at our destination. Five planning committees labored for months to define the goals, objectives, and action items. The following pages provide an overview of this plan -- the TASIS Portugal roadmap to excellence.
We named the strategic plan “Building Together” to represent the partnership we have with our parents and to highlight the actual “building” required to move our programming and physical plant forward. It is our firm belief that together we will build the school where your children will continue to thrive.
Academic Excellence and Professional Development
To become a world-class PK-12 international school as determined by objective measures of student learning.
- Hire, develop, and retain the best teachers in the world
- Determine the categories of academic excellence against which TASIS Portugal will measure progress and the associated metrics and goals for each by grade level
- Create opportunities for students to identify and develop their interests
- Thoroughly define the academic program we offer from preschool through 12th grade
Chair: Erica Herro
Student Development and Pastoral Care
To offer an environment in which students can grow to reach their full human potential socially, physically, and spiritually.
- Construct the profile of a TASIS Portugal student in conjunction with the Academic Committee
- Identify the most effective programs for developing the characteristics of a TASIS Portugal student
- Define the means that enable TASIS Portugal to measure its success in inculcating these characteristics both during and after their TASIS Portugal tenure
- Provide a variety of high-quality opportunities to promote students’ growth and development
To design and build a physical plant that effectively supports the School’s programs and bespeaks TASIS’ classic conception of beauty and tradition.
- Develop an action plan for adding a gym, auditorium, and performing arts center in building C as part of the Campus Master Plan
- Develop an action plan for adding playing fields
- Develop plans for interim solutions to facilitate needs that cannot be met in near term (i.e., 2-3 years)
- Design a traffic flow plan that will effectively accommodate an enrollment of 1000-1200 students
Chair: Fernando Gonzalez
To ensure a break-even enterprise based on sound business practices and an ambitious, yet achievable, business plan.
- Review and optimize the School´s operating budget to best serve the School’s needs
- Establish targets for faculty salaries and benefits to provide the highest teacher compensation in Portugal
- Determine the sources of income required to cover required capital investments
- Educate the community about the School’s financial model
Chair: Manuel Mexia
Marketing and Admissions
To market the School in a manner consistent with TASIS ideals and to recruit the highest quality candidates.
- Review and refine the admissions process
- Conduct an annual competitor analysis
- Optimize the marketing and communications portfolio
- Maintain a student retention rate of 90% or more
- Establish TASIS Portugal as a thought leader on education
Chair: Aimee Gruber
Building Together Committees
Candice Van Rooyen
Dom St George
P. Dominic Gualtieri
Juan Carlos Felix
Rita de Castro Neto
Joana Vaz Pinto
Juca de Roos Schweitzer